Tea: Yiwu Sheng Puer. Damon talks about going to PAX. Michael talks about spy technology. Also: Michael calls Damon a lush, Damon threatens to slap Michael, Kenny G, nuns, D&D, liquids on electrical equipment, not knowing how to speak languages, gamification, fake movies, carbon paper, technology in the US presidential election, encryption, and Leonard Nimoy’s birthday.
This episode was brought to you by:
- The tea ware we used for this episode
- Info and images about the Yiwu region in Yunnan province, China
- PAX (Penny Arcade Expo, NOT Latin)
- Child’s Play and more on Wikipedia
- Dragonflight convention
- Everway, and one of Michael’s products for it
- Obduction, now launched!
- Through the Woods and the demo download
- A review with more details about Japanese: The Game (there is indeed a pronunciation guide)
- The Justice Pitcher — Episode 4
- Not to be confused: 简体字 (jiǎntǐzì, “simplified Chinese characters”) vs. 贱蹄子 (jiàntízi, “lowly wench”) — different written characters, and different tones, but the same phoenetic syllables.
- Willapa Bay Oysters documentary
- Spy: The Secret World of Espionage
- Spy (BBC reality TV show)
- Argo on IMDB
- Charlie the robotic spy catfish
- TURN: Washington’s Spies
- Bone conduction
- Dead drops
- Tech and the Presidential Race
- One-time pads
- NSA hacking tools leaked (Washington Post story)
- Kryptos, the sculpture
- The Voynich Manuscript — 15th century, not 13th. An article about the 10 words.
- Video about the DMCA “illegal number,” and also a good intro to the importance of keys in cryptolography
- New York master key story
Our theme music was written by Lisa Purdy.