Tea: Zi Juan Purple Leaf Sheng Puer. Damon and Michael change things up and take a field trip to the Northwest Tea Festival. Technology mentioned includes drain tables, steaming vs. wok-fired processing methods, non-drip teapots, matcha grinders, gaiwans, mulch, superabsorbent materials, mini tea factories, remote-controlled tea farming …and a secret tea machine! Also: appearances by Friday Elliott, Jason Chen, Michael’s students Asher and Sarah, Cinnabar Wright, Elyse Petersen, James Norwood Pratt, Rajah Banerjee, and Nigel Melican.
- Chunks of compressed tea leaf from the Seven Cups Purple Leaf Puer
- Michael’s tea drainer tray
- Hangzhou, China
- Gunpowder tea
- Jason Chen’s book, Four World Famous Chinese Green Teas (Amazon affiliate link)
- Video of an ishi usu in use
- The “kill green” step
- A gaiwan
- “Horses for courses,” a chiefly British idiomatic expression
- Jason McDonald’s Great Mississippi Tea Company
Our theme music was written by Lisa Purdy.