Tea: Silver Dragon Jasmine Pearls. Michael differentiates between “scented” and “flavored.” Damon describes his week in Vegas learning about Amazon’s AI services. Also: helicopters coming to get us, watermelons, getting a lei in Hawai’i, cranky old men, the first movie Michael ever saw a second time, the Amazon Echo Dot, Damon’s preferences on comic book adaptations, getting Twitter love, genealogy in the age of Skynet, and definitely not hiding a military base. And, at the 40-minute mark, we start our spoiler-filled discussion of the film Arrival.
This episode was brought to you by:
- Seven Cups Fine Chinese Tea. Use coupon code sambac for 20% off Silver Dragon Jasmine Pearls tea.
- Sign up for Sucuri Security for a more secure website (even if you’re not hiding a military base) and support Tech Tea
- Ugh. Michael knows there are only 8 planets in our solar system. He meant “signs of the zodiac.” He tried to say something astrological, but something astronomical came out of his mouth instead.
- Amazon Web Services (the “Artificial Intelligence” menu specifically)
- WarGames clip of one of WOPR’s famous lines.
- Google Magenta’s piano composition
- Content Aware in Photoshop
- Drawing live on-air goes wrong
- Stephen Colbert makes fun of our local news anchors
- Arrival on IMDB
- More on Romance languages
- A discussion about the Sanskrit word for ‘war’ scene in Arrival (with very minor spoilers)
- Dominus in Latin
- Hawkeye in film
- Star Trek IV whale probe
- Transparent aluminum
- The weaker Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, aka linguistic relativity
- Stranger in a Strange Land (Amazon affiliate link)
- The Piraha, whose language has only three numbers
- Zero-sum vs. non-zero-sum
- Static vs. process language
- “I’m sorry” in Latin: Me paenitet! (“I am penitent”), Condoleo (“I am greatly pained”), and Ignosce mihi (“Forgive me”)
Our theme music was written by Lisa Purdy.