Tea: Silver Dragon Jasmine Pearls. Michael differentiates between “scented” and “flavored.” Damon describes his week in Vegas learning about Amazon’s AI services. Also: helicopters coming to get us, watermelons, getting a lei in Hawai’i, cranky old men, the first movie Michael ever saw a second time, the Amazon Echo Dot, Damon’s preferences on comic book adaptations, getting Twitter love, genealogy in the age of Skynet, and definitely not hiding a military base. And, at the 40-minute mark, we start our spoiler-filled discussion of the film Arrival.
This episode was brought to you by:
- Seven Cups Fine Chinese Tea. Use coupon code sambac for 20% off Silver Dragon Jasmine Pearls tea.
- Sign up for Sucuri Security for a more secure website (even if you’re not hiding a military base) and support Tech Tea
- Ugh. Michael knows there are only 8 planets in our solar system. He meant “signs of the zodiac.” He tried to say something astrological, but something astronomical came out of his mouth instead.
- Amazon Web Services (the “Artificial Intelligence” menu specifically)
- WarGames clip of one of WOPR’s famous lines.
- Google Magenta’s piano composition
- Content Aware in Photoshop
- Drawing live on-air goes wrong
- Stephen Colbert makes fun of our local news anchors
- Arrival on IMDB
- More on Romance languages
- A discussion about the Sanskrit word for ‘war’ scene in Arrival (with very minor spoilers)
- Dominus in Latin
- Hawkeye in film
- Star Trek IV whale probe
- Transparent aluminum
- The weaker Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, aka linguistic relativity
- Stranger in a Strange Land (Amazon affiliate link)
- The Piraha, whose language has only three numbers
- Zero-sum vs. non-zero-sum
- Static vs. process language
- “I’m sorry” in Latin: Me paenitet! (“I am penitent”), Condoleo (“I am greatly pained”), and Ignosce mihi (“Forgive me”)
Our theme music was written by Lisa Purdy.
Contact Damon and Michael on TechTea.fm to let us know what you think, and please leave a review on the sites where you find your podcasts!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:31:58 — 84.4MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More